Implant Case Studies
Dr David Farrington’s Implant Case Studies
1st Case Study
When this lovely patient’s infant daughter jumped up into her chin, the result was a fractured front tooth.
The tooth was unsalvageable, so a Straumann tapered implant was placed with some bone grafting and gum manipulation to restore the space followed by a zirconia porcelain crown.
1. Broken tooth at presentation
2. Temporary Solution
3. 3 Dimensional Planning
4. Gum being sculpted by temporary crown
5. X ray of implant and crown
6. Final crown at the issue appointment
2nd Case Study
Implant retained dentures
The teeth were replaced with upper and lower removable dentures, with the lower denture being held in by 2 dental implants with ‘locator’ abutments. Lower dentures are notorious for moving and rocking, and hence decreased bite force and function. By placing only 2 lower implants nearly full function is achieved.
1. Before (Closed mouth)
2. Before (Smiling)
3. Upper & lower toothless jaws
4. Implants with ‘locators’
5. Implants with ‘locators’
6. Xray of implants which shows excellent bone healing
7. Checking the fit of the new dentures
8. New smile, happy patient
3rd Case Study
Missing 2 upper left back teeth near sinus
This patient had been missing her upper right premolar and molar for over a decade. This resulted in decreased function and a noticeable gap on a full smile. The case was made complicated by the limited bone available below the maxillary sinus (the air space above the back upper teeth). As part of the treatment plan, a minor ‘sinus lift’ was used to place the implants into the ‘lifted sinus’.
1. Lovely smile but noticeable darkness on patients right and missing 2 upper back
2. 3 Dimensional Planning of 2 implants
3. Waxing planning of the permanent teeth
4. Implant placement
5. New teeth from above
6. New molar splinted crowns
4th Case Study
Narrow space narrow implant
This case demonstrates the use of implants in a narrow space. A 3.3 mm Straumann implant was used to replace a missing upper premolar; where the angle of the roots of the teeth either side of the gap provided a tricky situation.
Using a narrow, tapered implant, the implant was delivered successfully without trauma to the nearby structures.
1. Full smile
2. Missing upper premolar – not much bone to work with
3. Implant placed with healing abutment
4. Implant with Titanium/Zirconia Crown
5. Healing Implant and then with fitted Implant Crown
6. Finished view from the side
5th Case Study
Missing upper lateral incisor
This patient had been missing her upper left lateral incisor since childhood. She had some orthodontic treatment in order to open the space for an implant.
Some minor gum grafting was also performed to help the final crown look more natural.
1. Patient’s Upper and Lower jaw – Patient had orthodontic treatment prior
to implant surgery to provide space for an implant to replace a naturally missing tooth.
2. A discrepancy in the gum line was noted and planned for
correction in the implant planning. 3D Planning was also used.
3. A clinical photograph of the healed implant abutment and
an X-ray showing perfect implant placement with crown fitted
4. Choosing the right shade
5. Implant showing excellent gum health
6. Finished product and happy patient
6th case study
Missing molar replaced with wide implant
One of the commonest uses for an implant is to replace a single missing molar. In this case, a wider implant was used to help retain a zirconia crown to replace a lower molar.
1. Clinical photograph and X-ray showing missing tooth
2. 3 Dimensional Planning of implant
3. X-ray showing implant in position
4. X-ray showing crown on implant
5. Healed gum around implant
6. Final product with crown fitted